Job Type: Permanent (Annualised hours contract, 1740 hours per year)
Start date: ASAP
Reporting To: General Manager
A very rare and unique opportunity has arisen to work in a lively environment for a dynamic and experienced head chef (or ambitious sous chef) to join our small family team. You will have responsibility for ensuring the successful operation of our busy kitchen within our restaurant, Coast, which is based on a busy holiday park in Hayle. This is an exciting opportunity to develop a menu that exceeds the expectations of our wide-ranging customer base as the restaurant is open to holiday makers and locals alike from February to December. During the peak season, this will involve managing and motivating a team of up to six chefs which will reduce to three during quieter times.
You will supervise all food preparation and presentation to ensure the consistent delivery of high-quality dishes in a timely manner and maintain kitchen organisation, oversee staff ability, and adjust orders to meet guests’ requests.
Teamwork and flexibility will be essential to your role as you will be working closely alongside the restaurant manager co-ordinating the Kitchen and front of house team to ensure we are keeping up to date with restaurant industry trends, identifying new culinary techniques and presentations to create unique dishes that inspire our customers to return.
You will ensure that the kitchen and storage areas are always sanitised and maintained in accordance with cleaning, HACCP, health & safety and COSHH regulations. Part of this role will include developing and maintaining company standards and procedures to achieve this. Alongside ensuring that food storage meets standards and is consistently well-managed by your team and keep detailed records and procedures to improve waste reduction and maintain stock control.
You will be committed to continually reviewing supplies from wholesalers/suppliers which have been selected in conjunction with the general manger and monitor inventory to ensure correct stock levels are always maintained and managed within budgets.
Your role will include the preparation of staff rotas using our staff management platform Planday and planning work to ensure the correct staff resources are in place in line with demand. You will also be required to assist your Sous Chef in the training of the seasonal kitchen team, and assist with interviews and inductions where necessary.
As required throughout the season, you will review and develop the menu to provide a Spring/Summer and Autumn/Winter menu, advise on pricing, and produce menu specifications for use by your team.
You will also be required to develop menu options and pricing for events and functions in conjunction with the restaurant manager. This position offers the unique and exiting chance to develop and shape the successful operation of the business overall.
This opportunity is within an open kitchen therefore you will be meeting a wide variety of customers, ensuring they enjoy their time in Coast and therefore excellent customer service and inter-personal skills are essential.
You must be able to take direction and work in close conjunction with other heads of departments as this is a team effort and input from all areas helps the business grow. This role will include working evenings, weekends and bank holidays and will be based on an annualised hours contract, so the weekly hours will vary depending on the time of year and demands of the job role (including covering holiday and sickness).
This could vary between 15 hours per week during the winter and 60 hours per week during the summer, reflecting the seasonal nature of the business. Flexibility is therefore important for us during the open season, and in return we can offer flexibility during the winter.
Reliability is very important to us, so commitment to work for the entire season is essential. Assistance and training can be given, and all applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
- – Training in Culinary Arts: City & Guilds diplomas in professional cookery, BTEC/HND in professional cookery/foundation degree in culinary arts and must have significant culinary experience.
- – Food Safety and Hygiene certificate level 2 (level 3 will be provided if not held)
- – Knowledge of purchasing, stock control, food costing and waste reduction procedures
- – Extensive food knowledge and creativity to support the menu.
- – Leadership/supervisory experience required, be able to work efficiently, have physical stamina, creative flair, and flexibility.
- – Strong communication, organisational and leadership skills with a strong team ethos
- – Must be enthusiastic and outgoing, have excellent customer communication skills and be confident in dealing with staff and customers face-to-face.
- – Proven experience working safely within Health & Safety guidelines and must be confident in enforcing all legal and company rules relating to Food Hygiene, Health & Safety at Work and COSHH
- – Ability to work with initiative on your own and as part of a small team, with accuracy and attention to detail always.
- – Previous experience working in a customer service or hospitality environment.
- – Previous experience working in a licensed premises.
- – Relevant qualification in customer service or hospitality.
- – Relevant Health & Safety / COSHH / First Aid at Work qualification.
Why work with us?
- – Location– Uninterrupted views of St Ives Bay.
- – Family-run Business
- – Seasonal performance bonus
- – Pension scheme (with employer contributions)
- – We offer an online staff management systemmaking it easy to track and schedule your hours.
- – Generous staff discount for food, drink and accommodation.
- – We provide you with uniform.
- – Free on-site parking
- – Living wage foundation accreditation
- – Development and training options
- – Staff social events
Coast Kitchen-Bar-Terrace serves great quality fresh, honest food, starting the day with a range of breakfast options, moving on to a lazy lunch and evening dinner. Coast’s opening hours varies during the parks opening time through the season, and has grown a strong local returning customer base. We are also a popular destination for functions and events of all kinds including birthdays, anniversaries, wakes, weddings and Christmas celebrations.
Beachside Holiday Park is a family-run business and has specialised in providing holidays exclusively for families for over 60 years. We offer a wide range of holiday accommodation along with touring and camping pitches, right beside the beach in St Ives Bay. The park is open from Easter to the end of October each year.
We are committed to continual improvement and excellent levels of customer service, aiming to exceed our customers’ expectations during their well-earned holiday. We expect the same level of commitment from our staff.